There is evidence of human activity at Warwick as early as the Neolithic age, and of constant habitation since the 6th century. A Saxon fort was created at Warwick in 914 AD as a defence against the Danes, and Warwick Castle was established in 1068 AD as part of the Norman conquest of England.
The earldom of Warwick was created in 1088 and the earls controlled the town in the medieval period. During this time Warwick was given town walls of which only Eastgate and Westgate survive. The castle developed into a stone fortress and then a country house and is today a popular tourist attraction.
The Great Fire of Warwick in 1694 destroyed much of the medieval town and as a result most of the buildings post-date this period. Also as a consequence of the fire thatched roofing was banned from the town.
Warwick continues to be the heart Warwickshire, its County town and the base for the County Council.
Two items from this history are of particular relevance to today’s Town Council: